Sunday, December 28, 2008

Case of the Day - December 8, 2008

History: A family of 4 children, all under 10 years old, present on different days with high grade fever (lasting 5 days), vomiting and extreme malaise and myalgia (muscle pain).  Seven days after the first child's symptoms the father presented with the same high fever, severe vomiting (including small amount of hematemesis) and unable to go to work for three days.

                                             Figure 1.

Finding: Both patients in figure 1. could not retain food for 5 days.  Ultimately the orange jello was vomited.

Diagnosis: Influenza A or B

Discussion: Although vomiting is more common in children while infected with the influenza virus, this shows the youthfulness of the dad.  None of the family received the influenza vaccine (which was widely advertised in community health system).  Miraculously the mother dodged this bullet but had the unfortunate responsibility to care for all invalids. According to the patients, especially the dad, this illness should be avoided as it was the most miserable encountered in some 15 years.

1 comment:

  1. Hey guys!!! I was so happy to receive your picture. You arent a terrible friend. I didnt even send a card so I guess I win the terrible friend award. I hope you guys are doing well. Your new baby is so cute and your other kids are growing up so fast. I wish I could come and see you guys. How is your dad doing? I thought about him the other day. He is such a nice guy. I just started bloging. You can find me at mybellaboutique.blogspot.com My email is lkmartineau@gmail.com Write me with you telephone number. I lost my cell phone in the snow, so all my numbers are history. I am still doing the same old thing, but I am definitely up for a change. I am so glad that we are friends and I hope you do keep in touch. Tell everyone hi for me. Lisa

    ReplyDelete